Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Hockey Night (& Afternoon) in Canada

Went to Prince Edward Island for the weekend and caught two PEI Rocket games. They played the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles Saturday night at 7 and Sunday at 3.
First off, the Civic Centre is a nice, cozy rink. The lobby looked nice, the seats weren't bad, and the "jumbo"trons at both ends of the rink were easily seen. Ok, so I have never been to a bad rink, though the place in Dyer could stand to get chairs instead of bleachers (but I understand money is a big obstacle since it's AA hockey which isn't considered big and important) and maybe put in a miniscule-tron.
Anyway, my seats were the same for both games:

Great spot right off center ice and behind the visitor's bench. Didn't even have to sit next to anybody on Saturday. On Sunday I sat next to an old gentleman & his grandson. I talked to the man a couple times... he was nice. Said he was neighbor's with the mascot.

Saturday - Scoreless after one period. During the intermission (might've been the second int, but that's not important) I caught a frisbee that had a 2-for-1 coupon attached to it for the local video store. I gave it to the woman at the B&B because she'll probably get more use out of it than I would have! (The coupon, that is. I kept the frisbee!)
The first goal was a PPG by Nestrasil in the second period. That was the only goal after 40 minutes. At the very start of the second period we (I say "we" because I was rooting for PEI, of course) were penalized for delay of game at the 20 minute mark of the first period. How can there be a delay of game when the period's already over? Third period, Nestrasil scored another PPG to make it 2-0! Then Dion from CB scored a PPG. And finally Paradis scored a plain ol' goal to end the game 3-1. Andrej Nestrasil was the first star of the game. Following was Provencher and Polasek.

Sunday - Teddy Bear Toss! People were asked to bring teddy bears to throw to the ice after the Rocket scored their first goal. I was so excited even though I didn't bring a bear!
The game started the same way as Saturday - scoreless after the first. CB outshot us 9-0 (or was it 11-0?) for the longest time and when PEI got their first SOG the crowd wildly cheered. Oh my goodness, about 5 minutes in there was a brawl that left one of the Rocket players bloodied on the ice. The ref ushered for the medic to get over quickly because this guy was down and out. I'm not sure who it was but it was someone between #2-8. Boyer? Yettman maybe?
Like yesterday, there was a confusing call: there was a penalty for us having an ineligible player on the ice. That was new to me!
Paradis scored (SH) in the second and the teddy bears were set freeeeee! It brought a smile to my face :D I loved watching the bears fall to the ice and the players brushing them with their sticks to the kids picking them up. There were so many teddy bears!
Late into the second Nestrasil scored to make it 2-0. Third period, Hobbs scored to finish the game at 3-0. Legace was in goal that night and that was his first shutout in the Q. Congratulations! So obvs Legace was the first star while Polasek and Paradis were second and third stars respectively.

In my humble opinion, Paradis and Nestrasil are going to be great in the NHL. If they could be on the same team that would be fabulous, but Paradis belongs to Chicago and Nestrasil belongs to Detroit. Great. Being the rivals that CHI/DET are, they will be pitted against each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment