Thursday, June 10, 2010

One Goal - Stanley Cup Champions




It happened. It finally happened. I have waited 49 years for this. Wait, no I haven't. Um... hmm. I don't know where to begin! So, here's some random thoughts in CAPS:

THE CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS WON THE STANLEY CUP!

4-3 OVERTIME WIN!

KANE HAD THE GAME WINNER & WE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THE PUCK WAS IN THE NET!

THE PHILADELPHIA FLYERS LOST THE SERIES 4-2!

THERE IS A PARADE TOMORROW!

The 300 some epic pictures on the Blackhawks' site are too much for my computer to handle. I can't wait to see what each player does on their day with the cup. I can't wait to see the parade tomorrow. For a split second I thought about going, but naah, I'd rather be safe at home seeing everything on the television.


Ok, so let's recap. To begin, I was able to switch both my Wednesday and Friday shifts to Saturday and Sunday. Wow, I know. I was all ready for a game 7.
I was so anxious for 7 o'clock, Wednesday night. The Blackhawks had lost the first two games in Philly, so I thought the trend might continue. When I saw them win the first face-off, I was like, Yeah, they got this. Seeing Byfuglien score first, on a power play nonetheless, only gave me more hope.
It seemed the Blackhawks were very much in control throughout the whole game. Not to say the Flyers didn't play well; I thought they were a force to be reckoned with.
There were no ugly goals, no "that shouldn't have happened" goals, nothing like that.
For the longest time the score was 3-2 in favor of the Hawks. Hartnell scored in the third with 4 minutes left. 3:59 if you want to be exact. Both Dad and I just said, "Oh no." I couldn't take it. I was on the edge of the couch biting my nails, begging for the intermission to be over and done with so we could get this over with. My wish was their command and overtime began.
Four minutes and ten seconds into this heart-stopping OT (Philly almost scored as Niemi went down and, oh I can't think of who it was, but a player in orange fired a shot but luckily it was not high enough), Patrick Kane scored a magical game winner. I saw him begin to celebrate as the air was sucked out of the arena and everybody was silent, and my heart fluttered, but nobody had known the puck was in the net because it had vanished. Then everybody flew off the bench and all I could say was, "Oh my god. I didn't even see what happened! This is... this is crazy!!"

Oh man, to see 20+ dreams come true in that one moment was wonderful. I was elated. I couldn't stop smiling :D
Finally they showed the replay and clearly the net gobbled up that puck. Normally I feel sorrow for the losing team, but not so much last night. This was "my" team that won and they deserved to win. Had Philly won last night and in game 7, I would have died. But I don't want to hear this, "The Blackhawks wanted it more" crap. Wanting it more is never the case in any situation. (Ok, maybe like 99% of the time) Both teams wanted to win just the same, it's just that the Hawks, well... you can't even say they were the better team, really. I thought they played equally well, so perhaps it was just... luck. Good fortune. Whatever. They freaking won the Stanley Cup!!

When I gather my thoughts I will write a more coherent post.

No comments:

Post a Comment