Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Autographs and Theodore

Don't know when the XM radio started working in my car, but flipping through channels this morning I realized stations were coming through! Of course I went on a search mission to find NHL. Didn't take long to find, and when I tuned in, they were discussing autographs: Standing in line for hours, paying money for a scribble, and selling autographs on eBay. Now, I don't know where I stand when it comes to autographs. I used to be into them, but one day I was like, What's the big deal? It's a name written with marker. That's it. You're not gaining 1/100000000th possession of their soul when a player signs his name. You're getting isopropanol and resin drawn on a piece of paper, wood, or fabric by a human hand. You may love said human hand, but why spend money on such a thing? I wouldn't mind getting autographs, but I'm not going to wait hours in the rain, nor am I going to dish out any money! To make a long story short, I'd much prefer a picture. You can make copies that have the same meaning, in case you lose the original, whereas if you photocopy or take a picture of an autograph and then lose the original, the copy doesn't have as much significance.
As for the players that don't sign things because they think they'll be sold online, what's it matter to them? Is it because they won't reap the rewards? As if they're not getting enough rewards already!

All that was on the way to school. Uh, it even repeated on the way home... But what really got my attention [on the way home] was that Jose Theodore has taken time away from the Washington Capitals for personal reasons. The host made it sound like it was in connection with his son's death. That was in August, so I have to wonder what would be going on with him now, three months later. It's nobody's business what's going on in his life, but at the same time I would like to know, or atleast have a slight idea, what caused him to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment